Opened in 2014, Armstrong Place is the historic, adaptive reuse of Armstrong Elementary School and additional new construction. Located at 1721 Monsview Place in Lynchburg, Armstrong Place provides 18 one-bedroom and 10 two-bedroom apartments for people with disabilities and low incomes.
Armstrong Place features:
- Full accessibility for people with mobility impairments
- Affordable rents for people with low incomes
- EarthCraft® certification resulting in lower utility bills
- A design that is in context with both the neighborhood and the historic character of the school, a former equalization school of the civil rights era
- A school gym, rehabilitated in partnership with the City of Lynchburg that will provide community activities
- Convenient location on the GLTC bus line, within 1/2 mile of local amenities and within 2 miles of health care and social services facilities
- Unique floor plans for apartments with high ceilings and large windows
- All major appliances, including washers and dryers
- A community room that includes two computers, a library, a tv, and board games
- A community garden
- Armstrong Place is important for affordable, accessible housing, historic preservation, and community development.